Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

Triangles by Ellen Hopkins (ARC) : Review

3 out of 5 stars

Summary: Triangles is a story of three middle-aged women told through poetry. "Holly, filled with regret for being a stay-at-home mom, sheds sixty pounds and loses herself in the world of extramarital sex. Andrea, a single mom and avowed celibate, watches her friend Holly’s meltdown with a mixture of concern and contempt. So what if Andrea picks up Holly’s castaway husband? Then there’s Marissa. She has more than her fair share of challenges—a gay teenage son, a terminally ill daughter, and a husband who buries himself in his work rather than face the facts."

Depending on whose story you're reading, Triangles is funny, heartbreaking, super steamy, and heart warming. The women are strong, despite their hardships, and their questions are honest: "Is this all I have to show for my life as I'm now halfway through it?" "Is it okay to cheat on my husband if we've lost the passion in our marriage?" I don't know why, but for some reason I wasn't expecting quite so much, uh, how do I put it, SEX, in this book, but yeah...there's a lot of sex. Kinky sex. Extramarital sex. Group sex. Vanilla sex.  Most definitely a break from Hopkins's YA novels.

The couple problems I had with the book are that 1) in between each of the switches in point of view, there is a poem from an ambiguous point of view. At first, I thought this was schnazzy, but then it only served to jam the flow of the story. Any suspence before that point dissipated for me. It just didn't make sense.

2) Using poetry, though interesting to read, prevented me from getting too up close and personal with the characters. Hopkins has created these great characters with these interesting stories, and still I feel like I'm just at the very tip of the iceberg as far as meeting them is concerned.

3) Sometimes the poems changed style too much in the middle of one character's point of view, and I wasn't able to hear the character's voice in it.

All in all though, the book was good. Ellen Hopkins has a way with poetry and with changing up the shapes and styles of her poems. There were lots of little "hidden messages" and poems within poems, which I thought was pretty cool.

So....

Triangles hits shelves on
                     October 18, 2011
                                               OR
                                                 I will be announcing my giveaway
                                                    this friday where you can WIN the
                                                        Arc for yourself! :-)


Stay tuned for instructions on how the giveaway will work! You will need to be a follower of my blog though, so follow me gosh darn it!

<3 Gina Blechman

                                                 

4 comments:

  1. The lives of the women sound interesting, so does the poetry, but then it seems like it also complicates the flow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the lives of these women sound fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I met her several years ago when we were both on an author panel. She even gave me a signed copy of Impulse!

    ReplyDelete