Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

Review: Ten Things We Did (And Probably Shouldn't Have) by Sarah Mlynowski

4 out of 5 Stars

"2 girls + 3 guys + 1 house – parents = 10 things April and her friends did that they (definitely, maybe, probably) shouldn't have.

If given the opportunity, what sixteen-year-old wouldn't jump at the chance to move in with a friend and live parent-free? Although maybe "opportunity" isn't the right word, since April had to tell her dad a tiny little untruth to make it happen (see #1: "Lied to Our Parents"). But she and her housemate Vi are totally responsible and able to take care of themselves. How they ended up "Skipping School" (#3), "Throwing a Crazy Party" (#8), "Buying a Hot Tub" (#4), and, um, "Harboring a Fugitive" (#7) at all is kind of a mystery to them." ~ 10 Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have)

I have to say, at first, I thought I was going to hate this book. I was a skeptic. A Debby Downer. I thought it was just another shallow teen book about a couple of irresponsible, selfish girls who couldn't figure out how to properly run a dishwasher and had never been grocery shopping or done their own laundry. BUT, well, I kept on reading, and I kinda-sorta fell in love with the characters. They're funny. And honest. Their shenanigans are unbelievable, and yet...you can almost see them happening to someone you know. The relationships are dramatic and intense, and yeah, it's the kind of book that, though I didn't think I would, I would now have to recommend. Sure, I may not want to go out to lunch with these girls, but I certainly did enjoy reading about them.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation. will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were they very naughty? I have to check this one out now, thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a good reviewer. It amazes me you can read so fast. BTW...I love the formatting of Triangles. I'm not plowing through it as I've got to finish American Gods by Gaiman before I get to it but have read the first few pages/poems. What a unique way to write a book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Michael ~ I love how honest your reviews are. I kinda liked the premise of this book, but it was kind of "meh" ... you know, probably wouldn't ever actually read it, ya know? But now, I'm moving it up. I'll pay attention when this comes up. Thanks Gina!

    ReplyDelete