Pages

Friday, July 15, 2011

Review: Starting From Scratch by Georgia Beers

5 out of 5 stars

Starting From scratch is an amazing novel about a women who finally starts a relationship the girl of her dreams and the triumphs and occasional pitfalls that comes not only with being in love with a strong woman but with being in love with a strong woman and caring for her young son. It's heartwarming and often hilarious, and is written so effortlessly that you feel like you're in on the fun.

Starting From Scratch is relatively drama-free. There's no "I like person A and person B, but ones good for me and one's bad, and they both happen to be brothers" like in We'll Always Have Summer. There's no   homophobia or crazy family issues like in Tricks or Rage: A Love Story. It's just a sweet, fun romance including the ups and downs, insecurities and idiosyncrasies of everyday life. The characters are honest, believable, and original, and I promise that, by the end, you'll be in love with them all.

Probably the strongest part of this book is that it is interesting and very suspenseful, but also realistic and without all the super, crazy intense issues you often find that the main characters of such stories have. Reading it, I felt like I could have been reading about myself or about anyone really. (At least anyone who's gay.) But though you can expect lots of fun jokes and quirks about lesbians, you'll also find nothing but confidence and stability as far as the characters sexuality is concerned. In fact, one of my favorite characters wasn't even gay, but was the love interests adorable, dog loving, cookie munching son.

<3 Gina Blechman

4 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic review! I love knowing there's none of that contrived nonsense, but just an honest-to-goodness love story. Thanks for that!

    And hey, you won ACROSS THE UNIVERSE from me with your awesome villain! Email me your addy: ali at alicross dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo the author would be proud of this review. And I'm reading the comment above that says you won ACROSS THE UNIVERSE so congratulations. I'm jealous now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a book I'd like to add to my TBR list :O)

    ReplyDelete