Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

Review: Possession by Elana Johnson

5 out of 5 stars.

"Vi knows the Rule: Girls don’t walk with boys, and they never even think  about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn…and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi’s future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.

But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they’re set on convincing Vi to become one of them….starting by brainwashed Zenn. Vi can’t leave Zenn in the Thinkers’ hands, but she’s wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous: everything Zenn’s not. Vi can’t quite trust Jag and can’t quite resist him, but she also can’t give up on Zenn." ~Possession

Possession is witty, fun, exciting, suspenseful, kind of adorable, and full of drama. In fact, it reminds me of a mix between the drama and theme of Delirium by Lauren Oliver and the voice and adventure of the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson. (Not-so-coincidentally, those are two of my other favorite YA works.) As soon as I picked it up, I wanted to read through to the end, and not once could I guess what was going to happen next.

The only one issue I had with the book is that I found the action scenes a bit hard to follow. There's just so much going on, and it has to be said in a certain way to keep the scenes flowing and to make you want to read faster, but I found that if I really wanted a complete image of the scene, I had to read through certain spots two or three times to really get it.

Perhaps my favorite aspect of the story though is that it was strong up until the end. The problem I had with the first Hunger Games book, and the reason I didn't read on to the second one, is that the book slowed down at the very end, and I sort of felt like the last 15-20 pages or so were a cop out. (Sorry HG fans.) I didn't get this at all with Possession. In fact, when I finished I couldn't help but be upset that it was over and that there wasn't more for me to read.

<3 Gina Blechman

P.S. If you're not following her already, you should stop by Elana's blog and check her out!


3 comments: