Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

Review: Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult

5 out of 5 stars.

From the first sentence "One sunny, crisp Saturday in September when I was seven years old, I watched my father drop dead," all the way until the very end, Sing You Home blew me away with its message, its creativity, and its soul.

Sing You Home is a novel about family, love, and what the two mean together, regardless of society's expectations. It's about a woman who divorces her husband, after years of trying and failing to have a baby, but ends up finding a new love and wanting to start a new family in a way that her society, and most importantly, her husband and his new church, does not support. Sing You Home is about fighting the good fight and not being afraid to want more for yourself and those you love.

Yes y'all, it's a lesbian/bisexual novel, but I soon realized when I started reading it that as much controversy as the book mentions and as many excellent arguments  it brings up, it's really just a book about finding and living your life with love and how no one has the right to take that away. Not that the topics of gay rights, gay adoption, and equality aren't excellently portrayed and generally awesome--they are--but if you only see the book for that, then you're missing the point. In fact, I think that's what makes the book so special. So often, novels with LGBT characters depict people struggling and cracking under society's pressures, fighting with themselves about who they really are. But the heroines of Sing You Home are all strong, unrelenting, and passionate people, who are committed to who they are and what they stand for--a positive message if I've ever read one. It's a great reminder that though being gay may lead to many burdens and inequalities from society, that it does not have to bring burdens and discomfort within oneself.

The book is told in the points of view of the three main characters, Zoe, Max (Zoe's ex-husband), and Vanessa (Zoe's new partner), which gives readers a complete picture of the whole event. It's a fantastic story as told by all sides, and I would recommend giving it a read.

<3 Gina Blechman

5 comments:

  1. Can you believe I've never read a book by Picoult? I know, I know. I really must. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. You're welcome. I'd never read a Picoult book either. I think someone told me a while back that they didn't like her or something and it stuck with me. Of course, now I know better.

    <3 Gina Blechman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jodi Picoult is one of my favorite writers! I loved this book too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Jodi Piccoult. I've only been able to read a few of her novels, but they strike me with the social consciousness. The concepts are well developed and researched, and she doesn't establish a right or wwrong judgement; just reports facts and situations for the reader to draw their own conclusions.

    I like that. And I liked this review. Thank you Gina; another one to put on my kindle wish list.

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete