Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Review: I Came Out for This?: A Novel by Lisa Gitlin and Three Junes by Julia Glass

I Came Out for This?: A Novel by Lisa Gitlin is Running with Scissors meets Catcher in the Rye and has a love child with The (Real) L Word. At least, that was my impression.

I Came Out for This? is the story of a woman in her mid-forties who is newly out of the closet and head-over-heels for the wrong woman. For this horrible, wrong woman, the main character moves to DC, ends up renting an apartment in this crazy, cheap rent place, and living with prostitutes and thieves, so that she can occasionally go on dates with, and frequently get depressed over her. The book follows her journey through her personal journal, describing her experiences with dating other women and finally (maybe) getting over the wrong girl.

The novel is funny, raw, and frustrating. (And frustrating only because you want the characters to finally do the right thing.) It's certainly not your stereotypical lesbian coming out story. It was a little hard to get into at first, because I'm always weary of whiny MC's--hence why I was not a fan of  Catcher in the Rye--but Lisa Gitlin really won me over with this one.
                                                   
                                     4 Out of 5 Stars

                                           ~ ~ ~



                              Three Junes by Julia Glass

I want to briefly introduce you to Three Junes. I can't review it or tell you if it was good or bad, because, honestly, I only read 2/3 of it, but since I read over 200 pages of it, I would like to share with you what I know. To give you an objective view of what you're getting into, so that you can choose or avoid it.

A brief summary of the book from the Library Journal : "At the story's onset, Scotsman Paul McLeod, the father of three grown sons, is newly widowed and on a group tour of the Greek islands as he reminisces about how he met and married his deceased wife and created their family. Next, in the book's longest section, we see the world through the eyes of Paul's eldest son, Fenno, a gay man transplanted to New York City and owner of a small bookstore, who learns lessons about love and loss that allow him to grow in unexpected ways. And finally there is Fern, an artist and book designer whom Paul met on his trip to Greece several years earlier. She is now a young widow, pregnant and also living in New York City, who must make sense of her own past and present to be able to move forward in her life."

1)The book is a very well written piece of literary fiction
2) The book is very slow.
3) The characters are intriguing, unique individuals who you want to get to know.
4) There's no real suspense in the book. You're not reading because you're on the edge of your seat and can't wait to see what will happen next, you're reading because you like the characters and want to see where their lives go.

Three Junes is a character study of three men. Obviously, I couldn't get through it, which may have been because I'm reading 2-3 books a week and need something that really grips me, but that doesn't mean that you won't love it. If you decide to read it, or if you have read it, let me know what you think.


<3 Gina Blechman

3 comments:

  1. I think it's impressive that you read so much. I do about two books a month is all. So...24 a year I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'I Came Out For This?' sounds like a great read. I actually really enjoyed Catcher in the Rye, so might REALLY like this book. Thanks for the review! :-)

    ReplyDelete