Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Everything LGBT: Book reviews, culture, networking, etc

As I said in my previous blog, I've started writing my next manuscript which is LGBT fiction. However, as I've been doing research, looking up and reading other LGBT novels, I've come to realize that there's a lot less out there than I'd like. There's maybe three dozen books left when you rule out erotica and novels about "straight" teens getting drunk, making out, and then being like "OMG, I think I like you?" (Yes, that was actually the topic of multiple novels...as though that story needs to be told multiple times.) And I'm not trying to completely downplay these novels, and, of course, I have nothing against erotica and do enjoy it on occassion, but I just wish there was more just normal *insert genre here* lgbt novels.

 I also noticed that in the LGBT fiction world, there seems to be a few key writers and then...well...everybody else. For example, in YA, there's a lot of Alex Sanchez, Julieann Peters, and Nancy Garden, David Levithan and maybe 1 or 2 others whose names I can't recall at the moment. (Though I did see that Ellen Hopkins has an lgbt friendly YA, and that got me pretty excited...) In adult fiction, there's a lot of Sarah Waters, Emma Donoghue, and then a handful of other lesser knowns. I mean, I can name more famous and amazing dystopian authors than I can popular LGBT authors in all genres.

So therefore, I started a second blog called Everything LGBT. Everything LGBT is a blog for LGBT writers to network. It will cover topics such as LGBT novels, movies, music, issues/rights, culture, stories, etc and can hopefully be a way for people of all orientations to become more educated about whats out there in both books/media and real life stories and issues. I believe that the revolution of this generation will be brought about by encouragement from the media. So we might as well start discussing what we see and feel and what we want to see and feel, so that it can happen.

Click on the badge in my sidebar or go to www.everythinglgbt.blogspot.com to become a part of it and be a supporter!

<3 Gina Blechman

4 comments:

  1. Dumb question - what's LGBT?
    And my YA series is fairly clean and positve - definitely not the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane -- Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transexual :)

    One of the MCs in the novel I'm currently querying is bi and I have toyed with giving him his own novel. I know that Publisher's Lunch announced a bi novel the other day -- by John Irving, possibly?

    Have you read any Alan Hollinghurst? He's a gay writer; he writes general/literary adult fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucy, Thanks for the recommendation. And yes, the upcoming novel is by John Irving and from the research I've been doing on it, it's about a bisexual boy who falls for a transgendered girl...needless to say, I'm super excited.

    ReplyDelete