Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

FRIDAY FUNNIES: Because Every Writer Has THAT DAY

This week has been a bit of a crazy week. I sent my first five queries out. Then was told by my mentor (bless her soul) that I needed to rewrite my query. Rewrote it. Resent it to her. Was told "That's much closer. But it still needs work." Started from scratch...for the sixth time. Edited that version five times. And now I'm just starting to send the queries out again as soon as I quadruple check the first three chapters of my manuscript so they're in tip top shape.

The point is, we all know that writing is a lot of work. It's complicated. It's demanding. I spent so long trying to follow every single rule with my query that when my advisor told me I needed to forget the rules and just do x, y, and z, there was honestly a moment where I was like "RAAAAAAWR! WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT FROM MY LIFE!"

But we move on. And so, I have a little clip courtesy of Hallmark's Twisted Whiskers to brighten your day.


See! It's a metaphor for life. The bouncy ball could be one of two things: a) the distractions in your life or b) all of the gosh darn times you have to start over and just take the criticism and keep going.

But no matter what you do, don't get so caught up in everything that you forget the point: you're trying to write your novel and be successful and everything else can just bugger off. Awesome, yeah?

Happy Friday!

<3 Gina Blechman

4 comments:

  1. That was awesome lol. I needed that. hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so know that feeling, where you've perfected your query after heaps of critique/feedback from others, everyone's happy with it...then one pesky person comes along and points out something obvious that you NEED to change :P Damn their logic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That made me laugh so hard! Totally needed that.

    I SO feel you on the queries! I've rewritten mine so many times that the only thing that hasn't changed about it is which book it's a query for. And it's so frustrating when you first start out because there are all of these 'dos' and 'don'ts' and then you read stories about other authors who have gotten agents, and they say 'I did what felt right, and voila!' and you think 'Why are there even rules to follow when it seems like every debut author did something outside the box and was successful?' Like Twilight ending up on the desk of someone who never repped anything over 80k and then someone else nabbing it and falling in love. It'll make you crazy if you think about it too long.

    ReplyDelete