Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What would my MC's room look like?

As many of you probably figured out, today is Super Snooper Blogfest. The point of the blogfest is to tell you about my main character by describing his room. Since my main character lives in a totalitarian society and can't really control what he has in his actual room, I'm going to explain what his room would look like if he lived out in the real world.

The room is dim. Not dark but cozy. The desk in the corner is covered with a slushpile of articles, none of which he will have the time to read today. Above the bed is a large portrait, the subject a naked woman-her head tilted back, her hair flowing in the wind. Her eyes are closed. Her mouth is open.
The floor isn't exactly clean, but it isn't exactly dirty either. Of course, there's the occasional crunching of a potato chip or a pencil as you walk, but it's not a pigsty. There's flowers on the nightstand, hand drawn pictures on the walls, and old letters on the dresser. Frank Sinatra is in the cd player.
On the door there hangs a calendar with dragons to match the dragon that lays in the back of his desk drawer.
The room is dim. Not dark...but cozy.

17 comments:

  1. I like it, but I definitely wanted to read more! thought I now am really curious about why he has a painting (or I guess it is) of a naked woman on his wall. Seems very sexual to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, a recluse artist? I like the naked painting, it gives me a sense of freedom. I can easily imagine myself as the subject, but not posing for an artist, but just here at home! :)

    Please drop by and read my
    entry
    , I would love to hear your thoughts!

    ~Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm more interested in the dragon. Although the naked woman in the painting argues the character is an adult, the dragon says...young. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dimly lit bedroom with a picture of a naked women above the bed. The flowers on the dresser and Frank Sinatra set a romantic tone but the dragon throws me for a loop. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The articles on his desk made me think of an adult who is buried in his work. The dragon in his dresser. . . like everyone else, you've got me curious on that one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dragon got me, too. I'd say someone who appreciates art, but perhaps not an artist himself. I actually thought he was a magazine editor, but he could also be a scientist or in some other occupation that requires frequent reading of relevant literature. Clearly someone who is too busy doing other things to be overly concerned about cleaning regularly. Sounds like me. :) Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd say maybe an art student...not sure about why he won't have time for the articles. Maybe he's behind on his studio work? :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. He sounds like my kinda guy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, so he's either a writer or an FBI/CIA investigator living in China. Just to throw a guess out there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm also curious about the dragon in the back of his desk drawer! Is it a toy dragon, or are we talking Hagrid-raising-illegal-baby-dragon here?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol, Norbert!

    I'd honestly be interested to read about what he would be forced to have in his bedroom as a sort of spin-off that tells us about his world since this tells us about him. And yes, artistic type. Laid backs seems like.

    ReplyDelete
  12. He's a writer and his room is the place where he withdraws to refill the well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the descrip tells a lot about his personality - nicely done. :) New follower and fellow crusader just (finally) making the rounds. Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was very nicely done! I liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the description of the floor. The details of the occasional chip or pencil do a great job of showing that it isn't CLEAN or a pigsty. I also thought this guy needs to have a tattoo of a dragon on his back, arm, or shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh what a great writing excercise! I missed the blogfest but I might try this for the characters in my newest WIP.

    ReplyDelete