Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

The Dystopian Novel You All Should Be Reading

FEED by Mira Grant is undoubtedly one of the best novels I have ever read. It's witty. Intense. Heart-warming. Heart-breaking. Intelligent. And, well, just generall,y all around brilliant. FEED is 575 pages of addicting awesomeness proving a novel can be both high in word count and high in interest. The characters are well-crafted, relatable, and true to themselves throughout all thirty chapters, and it is quite evident that Grant has done her research. Her knowledge of the setting and all fields related to her characters makes her story incredibly realistic. FEED made me laugh, cry, smile, and cringe, and is one of the few stories whose twists and turns I never suspected. Before I continue, here's the back cover story to peak your interest:

" 'Alive or dead, the truth won't rest. My name is Georgia Mason, and I am begging you. Rise up while you can.'

The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beaten the common cold. But in doing so we had created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED.

NOW, twenty tears after the Rising, Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives--the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will out, even if it kills them."

If you're thinking what I was thinking when I first picked this up, then you're wrong. I first thought "eww, a book about zombies..." (then picturing all of the cheesy zombie movies I'd ever nearly seen before thinking better of it) "I'm going to hate this."

As soon as I started reading, I knew my initial thoughts were false. FEED is about a quest for truth. It's about a world where the media can't be trusted and a group of bloggers are the nation's only chance to recieve the real news on the Rising and the political campaign that the group has been asked to follow. It's about putting the facts in the hands of the people and fighting to the death for what is right. I can't say enough how much this book amazed me.

Over the past month, I've been working on reading one dystopian novel a week. So far, I've read Never Let Me Go by Kazuo IshiguroFeed by M.T. Anderson, and The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Never Let Me Go was fantastic, but left me craving something more raw and real. Feed by M.T. Anderson was so raw that it almost became superficial. I wanted to know more about the world and the characters and less about the MC's Holden Caulfield type ramblings. The Hunger Games seemed to have both the gritty truth and the subtle reality that I desired, but somehow ended flat. (The reason you never saw a review of it from me is probably because I got to the end and just stopped caring.) But Mira Grant's FEED has everything I wanted and more. It's dark and conceptual yet real with relatable characters and symbolism available if ever you look for it. I hope you'll all give this book your consideration.

It's great to be back and blogging again.

Love,
Gina Blechman

6 comments:

  1. I had the same experience with The Hunger Games trilogy. I loved the first one and most of the second, but the third one didn't do it for me. I just hadn't become invested enough to read the whole thing...so I skipped to the end to see what happened, thinking I'd go back and read the middle later, since I own the book. Hasn't happened yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! Now I've got a few more dystopians to read!

    I love the way Suzanne Collins writes, and I'd read anything else she put out, but I must say that I was disappointed in the ending. I didn't really care about how anything turned out, so long as Katniss didn't turn into her mother and that's precisely what happened. Easy out, IMO, and I don't mean that Suzanne intentionally wrote an easy out, I just mean that Katniss' character took the easy out, and I wanted her to be a better person than that.

    Feed by Mira Grant is now on the top of my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am now offically intrigued. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent review. If I read this type of book, I would certainly give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this review. Sounds like a great book. I’ve added it to my To-Read list. Glad to hear you had a good holiday!

    ReplyDelete