Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Crying Problem

For those of you who don't know, I am currently looking for an agent. I have done a few rounds of editing on my novel, Synesthesis, have passed it around to friends, and am now doing a major research project on everything involving getting agented and eventually getting published.

Now, last night, as I was looking through various agent finding sites, I started to realize something: tears. Every once and a while...I just started crying and could barely stop myself. Does this sound strange? Has this happened to anyone, because, personally, I think it's strange. Lol.

Let me explain further... As I was making my long list of potential agents to eventually be ordered and ranked and all sorts of fun stuff, I often find myself really getting into their bios and stories. What inspired them inspired me. It seemed that everything they wanted was something that I had been dying to hear. They would say "we want gritty, cutting edge dystopian novels with strong male characters that can potentially break the boundaries between YA and adult." And I would say to myself, "Oh my god! That's what I have." And then they would talk about their passion and dreams and how they've spent their  entire lives, since they were children, reading books, and I'd be like "Oh my god, I'm in love!"

Try telling my tear ducts that half these people may reject me and that they're all just regular folks trying to get by and do what they love. Try telling my tear ducts that I've still got a month or so before I'll be fully confident in sending out query letters and I need to slow down. I mean, they were going all out listening-to-Snow-Patrol-while-eating-dark-chocolate-and-watching-Grey's-Anatomy style. (Speaking of which, I found Grey's Anatomy particularly heart wrenching tonight.)

I've always been the emotional type. I'm that girl that cries at commercials and movie previews and cute children in K-Mart and random acts of kindness. I'm that girl.  But if my tear ducts are acting up at this, I can't imagine what the rest of the process is going to be like. (Note to self: buy more loose tea and dark chocolate)

6 comments:

  1. nothing wrong with the tears.

    I cry at everything, just like you. I just need to think about my MC and im off in floods again. Yes i have certainly cried in Grey's anatomy, i have even cried in Lois and Clark. Any emotion and i well up. It's very embarrassing. I can't help it.

    some nice old lady at the hospital says i have pretty hair and i feel like crying because she is sweet. *grin*

    very annoying. I can't offer any help at all except i have sympathy.

    sometimes i find doing it in very small doses helps. but that is all. best of luck and remember that sometimes they are ok :-)


    P.s Thanks for your advice on my blog. I never have a problems with it:-) Zero mumblings going on about you. Thanks for the advice, you are quite right.

    Best of luck and i'm sure you will be GREAT!!

    Constance

    ReplyDelete
  2. *HUGS* I'm your bud, girl. I cry for lots of things too. Just the other day my lil guy lost his precious blankie at a junkyard and my hubby just left it. He didn't think it was a big deal. Well, I bawled so hard that my chest felt hollow. I set out the next business day and searched high and low. Guess what? We found it! Happy day...
    But I know what I've reached where you're at, I'll be doing lots of crying.
    *HUGS* I'll keep you in my prayers. Hang in there...

    It's great to meet a fellow crusader!

    ♥.•*¨ Elizabeth ¨*•.♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound so enthusiastic about writing and finding an agent...whatever agent you end up with will be lucky to have you! (And just think of all the tears you'll have when you're accepted!) Keep up the good work. Dark chocolate is your friend.

    Erin @ Quitting My Day Job

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello fellow crusader, well at least you recognize that you're the crying type and so the expected tears won't be anything you haven't experienced before. Best of luck finding an agent. I'm not there yet. I'm not the crying type, and so I don't forsee it being a problem for me, but you never know. (I'm the get mad and kick something type.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Firstly, I love your blog background. It's very original and really sets the scene for your writing. I'm a bit of a cryer too. I used to be worse when I was younger, but every now and again, I need to have a good cry - it's quite carthatic, don't you think?

    By the way, I'm in your YA crusader group - pleased to 'meet' you! Look forward to getting to know you throughout the crusade. :-)

    ReplyDelete